For our Dynamics class we were assigned the task to ‘Complete a 3D Dynamic Visual Effects Sequence’. We filmed ourself in front of a green screen and acted out a simple action, with the intention of incorporating effects from Maya in Post production. My action was a myself with a cape, standing with my back to the camera, then spinning around making a ‘Batman’ type of action ending on the ground with the cape covering my body. Once this is filmed we use this footage generate effects and make our selves disappear in a creative way.
With the effects we needed to incorporate four different elements, Software and Hardware rendered particles, Particle Instance Geometry and a Cloth simulation. Below are screen shots of work in progress of these effects in their own layers.
In the above shot I was creating particles that look like they are emitting from my hand as it sweeps across my body. The particles have a weight to them so then fall once created and emit more particles off themselves to give a smoky effect. When rendered they have a slighty purple colour to them to make things a little more interesting. The emitter I used was attached to a curve that I used to follow the pivot and movement of my arm. This effect was very useful and made things a bit easier. Originally I wanted more particles but after seeing a few renders I went for the ‘less is more’ theory. Combined with the later effects I was happy with the result.
The above image is a rendered shot and a Maya shot of a smoke explosion following my ‘arm smoke’. The idea is that I throw a smoke bomb down that creates a distraction while I disappear. The smoke explosion was created in a separate layer and layered over the footage and positioned in Nuke. In Maya the explosion is all particles, emitting from a single emitter, the original particles then generate more particles giving a more interesting look. The gravity is turned down a little as well as the Conserve is turned down to creat a slowing down effect. I was happy with the final render.
While I am turning around I wanted smoke to be coming up from the ground to give a magical look. These are done with a Hardware render and don’t look as well as I’d like. This may be due to my lack of knowledge in this area, I can see its potential though. I did add a purple tinge to them later in Nuke to make them similar to my ‘arm smoke’.
This is a shot of my bats or PArticle Instancers at work. Since the whole shot looks as if its a Batman kind of thing I went with Bats flying out from under my cape. This is just two different Emitters generating bats that I had already modeled and set to fly. Once the bats are flying Ive got them following an animated a field to give the bats an impression of intelligents. The Bats ended up looking a little messy but being bats I thought it was kind of fitting since bats are messy flyers.
This is just a simple bit of geometry modeled around the outline of the final pose in the footage. The idea is that it will seemless ly chance from the footage to this model. The model is a cloth that will collapse under its own weight since the person inside (Me) has disappeared. A bit of a ‘wicked Witch’ kind of look. I was really happy with the final render, this may be because it was a very dark scene so I didn’t have to worry too much about lighting it perfectly. nCloth was a very useful tool that I enjoyed learing about.